What is vestibular rehabilitation?
Vestibular rehabilitation is an exercise-based program designed by a specialty-trained vestibular physical therapist to improve balance and reduce problems related to dizziness.
Who benefits from Vestibular Rehab?
Most often people will complain of motion sickness, intolerance to standing at high altitudes (i.e. on a ladder), vertigo, nausea, inability to focus the eyes to read, imbalance, and disequilibrium. Vestibular rehabilitation decreases the frequency and severity of the symptoms listed through exercises that focus on normalizing eye movements and improving balance, gait, and posture.
Vestibular rehab treatment options may include any of the following:
- Canalith repositioning maneuvers (for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo)
- Exercises to improve balance and walking
- Vision and gaze stability exercises
- Manual treatment for neck pain and stiffness
- Education on compensatory strategies