Life doesn’t stop once you’ve been diagnosed with a major heart problem.
Cardiac rehabilitation (cardiac rehab) is a structured way to help people recover from heart conditions and help prevent future ones, including heart attacks. It helps people exercise the right way for their heart and educate themselves on the short and long term effects their heart attacks, heart surgeries or procedures such as stenting and angioplasty may have.
Carlinville Area Hospital’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program offers both Phase II and Phase III.
Why Do We Do Cardiac Rehab?
It can be a life saving and changing experience. Planned physical activity makes your heart stronger, improves your energy level and lifts your spirits. Counseling can help you eat healthier, lose weight, quit smoking, and lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Cardiac rehab professionals can also communicate with your primary care doctor or cardiologist.
Who Needs Rehab?
You may benefit if you have or have had a:
- Heart attack
- Heart condition, such as coronary artery disease (CAD), angina or heart failure
- Heart procedure or surgery, including coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery, percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), including coronary angioplasty (balloon angioplasty) and stenting, valve replacement, or a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
Typically our patients are referred by cardiologists or primary care physicians based on a mutual understanding of personal motivation and medical necessity. If you’re interested in us, please ask your physician for a referral.
Benefits of CAH’s Program :
- Dedicated staff with over 15 years experience
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Educational Materials
- One-on-one consultations
- Individualized to meet each patients’ own needs
- Close to Home
Most insurance companies and Medicare provide coverage for the Phase II program. Billing and payment arrangements can be coordinated for individuals with no insurance coverage. Phase III program is usually not covered by insurance and a small fee is required with each session.
For more information or to enroll, call 217-854-3141, ext. 498.
What does Carlinville Area Hospital’s Cardiac Rehab Program offer?
Carlinville Area Hospital’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Program offers both Phase II and Phase III program:
Phase II : Is a 12-18 week program, which meets 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday & Fridays) for 1 hour sessions. It does require a physicians order to enroll. Phase II has two major components:
- Exercise training to help patients learn how to exercise safely, strengthen muscles and improve stamina after a heart event. These patients wear a heart monitor during their exercise so the staff can evaluate their hearts tolerance to increased activity.
- Education, counseling and support to help patients and their families understand their heart condition and find ways to reduce the risks of future heart problems. Also help patients learn how to cope with the stress of adjusting to a new lifestyle and deal with fears about the future.
Phase III : Is a maintenance exercise program that continues to support what is taught in Phase II. The patients do not wear heart monitors during exercise, but they will have periodic assessments of their blood pressure and heart rate periodically as need.
Click here to view the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program brochure.